I've always enjoyed eating Portuguese egg tarts. Fell totally in love with it especially when I first tried the Lord Stow's Portuguese egg tart in Macau. Every mouthful of those rich and creamy egg custard paired with the tart pastry is just TO-DIE-FOR!
Well, I can't fly to Macau whenever I have a craving for these snacks, and there isn't any shop near my home selling portuguese egg tarts. So here comes home bakes!
For this super easy version, I didn't make the crust from scratch. Instead, I used frozen prata for the crust. You can also use store-bought puff pastry but I happened to have prata and wanted this easy way out. It's nothing compared to the real deal from Lord Stow's, but good enough to satisfy my cravings.
Easy Portuguese Egg Tart
makes 6 tarts
For the crust
3 frozen prata
For the egg custard
3 egg yolk
80g dairy whipping cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Cut the frozen prata into half.
2. Join the ends of each semi circle to form a tart and press into a small tart shell. (I used a disposable tart shell)
3. Put aside in the freezer while preparing the egg custard mixture.
4. Preheat oven to 200C.
5. Mix and beat all the egg custard mixture ingredients together.
6. Strain the mixture twice.
7. Pour the egg custard mixture into the prepared tart shell until 80% - 90% full.
8. Bake in preheated oven at 200C for 20 minutes or until the top of the custard is caramelized.
- Make sure not to 'over-bake'. I was working while the egg tarts were baking and forgot about the time. Mine turned out a little to 'cooked'. Will adjust baking time the next round.
This post is linked to the Best Recipes for Everyone August 2015 Event (Theme: Dim Sum) organised by Fion （XuanHom's Mum Kitchen Diary) and hosted by May (厨苑食谱 ）
Thanks for dropping by. Do link back to LY's Kitchen Ventures if you have used any information published in this blog.