There has been a craze recently with everyone making this quick & easy one-pot dish - Tomato Rice. I was very curious how this would taste and decided to join in the craze as well.
It was surprisingly simple and easy to make. The basic Tomato rice recipe only calls for rice, tomato, some salt, some pepper and some olive oil. Put all these together and cook. That's it! What you get is a bowl of fragrant rice. It is good on its own, but you can also add in other ingredients like mushrooms, ham, sausage, chinese sausage, corn kernel, carrot, crab sticks, etc if you like. The combination is limitless.
For a first try, I decided to add some white button mushroom and ham to the basic tomato rice recipe. With no additional seasonings added, I was pleasantly surprised at how fragrant and yummy the dish turned out. Even my hubby and girl who are not great fans of tomato enjoyed the meal and most importantly, ate some tomato without complaints. :)
Tomato Rice (蕃茄饭) - Basic recipe
serve 6 (we are small eaters)
2 cups of uncooked rice
water to cook the rice
1 tomato, with stem removed
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 tsp olive oil
1. Wash rice, then add water to the rice in rice cooker pot to the appropriate level.
2. Remove 6 tbspn of the water (this is the amount of water released from the tomato), then add salt, pepper and olive oil. Mix well.
3. Place the prepared whole tomato in the middle of the rice cooker pot.
4. Cover with lid and start to cook the rice.
5. When the rice is cooked, gently give the rice a stir using a rice paddle. Keep covered for a few minutes. Serve warm.
Other ingredients that can be added:
You can add in other ingredients to this basic tomato rice recipe. I added sliced white button mushroom and chopped ham. You can also add crab stick, sausage, peas, carrots, etc. The choice is all yours.
Do link back to LY's Kitchen Ventures if you have used any information published in this blog.