I've just bought some 菠萝包 from a bakery a few days back and was inspired to make these when I saw many blogger friends making this yummy snack.
The first time I tried this bun was when I was on holiday in Hong Kong several years ago. Especially like the sweet, crusty exterior.
菠萝包 (Pineapple Bun)
For the Bun (sweet bread dough)
270g bread flour
30g plain flour
20g condensed milk
1 tsp yeast
1/4 tsp salt
45g unsalted butter
For the Pineapple skin
100g plain flour
5g milk powder
50g unsalted butter
Additional sugar for coating the pineapple bun
1. Mix all bread dough ingredients except butter and knead till doesn't stick to the hand.
2. Knead in the butter until dough is pliable. Cover dough and let it proof for about 1 hour.
3. Meanwhile, mix all the pineapple skin ingredients to form a dough. Set aside in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
4. When the bread dough is proofed, punch down the dough and divide into 13 smaller balls of 50g each. Roll into a ball and let is rest for another 10 - 15 minutes.
5. Flatten the prepared pineapple skin into a round disc and cover over the sealed ends of the bread ball dough.
6. Coat the pineapple skin with sugar. Make patterns on the pineapple skin and place the buns on baking tray, leaving room in between buns as they will expand further.
7. Bake in preheated oven at 180C for 22 minutes.
I am submitting this post to Best Recipes for Everyone #4 Nov14~~ Fresh From Oven ~My Bread Story hosted by Fion of XuanHom’s Mom Kitchen Diary
Thanks for dropping by. Do link back to LY's Kitchen Ventures if you have used any information published in this blog.