Friday 5 August 2016

Steam Orange (Cough & Phlegm Remedy)


Steam Orange - this is a cough and phlegm remedy that's recommended by my colleague. Before I had known about this, whenever anyone in the family is down with cough, I would normally brew Luo Han Guo with Chrysanthemum and American Ginseng Fiber Tea (罗汉果洋参菊花茶)

My girl was down with cough and phlegm a while back and the stubborn cough and phlegm didn't go even after finishing a course of anti-biotics or taking the Luo Han Guo herbal drink. When I heard about the Steam Orange method, I decided to give it a try even though I was very apprehensive. 

You see, my colleague had been nursing a terrible cough and phlegm that didn't go away for about 2 months despite taking doctor's medication. It was only after she tried the steam orange a few times that the cough and phlegm cleared. (She took 1 steam orange a week)

So I did the same for my girl, and it really worked. Her cough and phlegm cleared. I'm not sure if it was just plain coincidence or perhaps she was already recovering.

Just last weekend, my mom who had been having cough and phlegm for 3 weeks also tried this steam orange and the phlegm cleared after she had taken it twice!

Old wives tales or not, I will definitely be making this if anyone in the family is down with cough and phlegm that doesn't clear up for sure! :)

Steam Orange (Cough & Phlegm  Remedy)
serves 1

Ingredients:
1 orange
1 tsp salt

Method:
1. Cut the orange horizontally near the top.

2. Sprinkle salt over the orange meat.


3. Steam orange for half an hour.


4. When done, eat the orange meat.




Thanks for dropping by. Do link back to LY's Kitchen Ventures if you have used any information published in this blog.

1 comment:

  1. Chanced upon your blog while looking for a substitute recipe for double boiled orange for curing cough and phlegm. So glad I found this recipe - so much easier especially since I don't have a double boiler! So this recipe is alifesaver. From there I started exploring your blog and I'm very interested to try all your recipes for one-pot dishes - perfect for full-time working moms with 3 kids. And your Magic cake recipes too - I've tried making them twice following recipes from other sites but it never quite produced the right results. Thank you for sharing your recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...