This French Almond Cake is one cake that my mom gave compliments to. I saw this in Happy Home Baking's post and knew I had to bake one for my mom.
It was such an easy cake to bake. I loved the moistness of the cake and the nutty flavor from the ground almond gave the cake so much ummmph! This certainly goes very well with a cup of tea!
French Almond Cake
makes one 8" round cake
110g unsalted butter, cut into small cubes and leave to soften
150g caster sugar (I cut down to 120g)
3 eggs, lightly beaten
90g ground almonds (almond meal)
40g self-raising flour (substitute with 40g plain flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder and a pinch of salt if you do not have self raising flour)
1 tablespoon milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tablespoon flaked almonds for sprinkling
some icing sugar for dusting
1. Preheat the oven at 180ºC.
2. Grease (with butter) and flour the sides of a 8" round pan. Line the base with parchment paper and set aside.
3. Place butter, sugar and eggs in a mixing bowl, add almond powder, flour, milk, vanilla extract and then beat with an electric mixer or whisk.
4. When quite light and fluffy, spoon into the prepared pan and spread the batter evenly. Sprinkle the flaked almonds over the top.
5. Bake at 180ºC for 35mins, or until the sponge just springs back when pressed, or a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
(Important Note: If the top of the cake starts to brown too quickly, you can cover the top with foil about 15-20mins into baking to prevent the top from over browning.)
6. Run a thin bladed knife around the sides of the pan to loosen the cake, then turn out onto a wire rack and let cool.
7. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
Thanks for dropping by. Do link back to LY's Kitchen Ventures if you have used any information published in this blog.