I've tried several sponge cake recipes but this is the one that is always fail-proof. It's fluffy and moist texture has made me go back to this recipe whenever I need to make a sponge cake or any layered cake using a sponge cake base.
This recipe was passed to me by a good friend and I've made some slight modification. For this recipe, I find that the most crucial part of the whole process is the whisking of the egg batter. Add in sugar to the egg only when you are ready start whisking, and make sure you whisk till it is fluffy and to ribbon stage. Once you achieve this, you will have a stable egg batter and on half the road to a beautiful and fluffy sponge cake! The other key to achieving a moist cake is the addition of liquid glucose. Addition of the glucose does not make the cake any sweeter, but helps to keep the cake moist.
I would like to share this recipe with you and hope you'll try it!
Basic Vanilla Sponge Cake
makes a 8" round pan
1 tsp salt
140g cake flour
30g canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbspn liquid glucose
1. Preheat oven at 180ºC.
2. Sift the cake flour and set aside.
3. Whisk the eggs, salt, sugar and glucose on high speed until foamy and about doubled in volume. Continue to beat on medium speed until ribbon stage.
4. Add the sifted flour to the beaten egg mixture. Mix in flour on low speed for 3 seconds just to combine most of the flour. Then increase to medium speed and mix for about 20 seconds until just incorporated.
5. In another bowl, mix milk, oil and vanilla extract together.
6. Scoop some batter from the egg mixture and add to the oil mixture and combine together. Pour back into the egg batter and fold till well incorporated using a spatula.
7. Pour into a 8" pan and bake in the preheated oven for 35 minutes. (There's no need to grease or line with paper)
8. Remove cake pan from oven and cool on a wire rack with pan inverted.
9. Once cooled, remove cake from the pan.
Do link back to LY's Kitchen Ventures if you have used any information published in this blog.