This is the first year I'm making my own mooncake filling and the satisfaction derived from seeing the looks of approval from family and friends is just SUPERB!!
My hubby is a custard lover and I had immediately bookmarked Zoe's sharing of homemade custard for Hong Kong's popular Baked Custard Mooncake. I made a batch of this mooncake a few days back with this homemade custard filling and you can view my post of this delectable mooncake here.
Not only can this custard filling be used in mooncake making, I'm also planning to make more batched of these for other bakes which I will be sharing in later posts.
I love this custard. It's a definitely THUMBS UP from me and my family and friends!!
Homemade Custard Filling
recipe adapted from Bake for Happy Kids
For the Smooth and Milky Custard Filling (makes about 300g)
25g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
3 egg yolks, roughly beaten (I modified the original recipe and used 1 whole egg only)1 tbspn condensed milk
40ml cream, containing 35% fat
60ml coconut milk (I used Ayam brand coconut milk)
20g plain flour
15g custard powder
10g tapioca flour
1. In a small bowl, combine flour, custard powder and tapioca flour.
2. In another bowl, beat butter and sugar with a wooden spoon until light and combined. Beat in egg yolks gradually till combined.
3. Beat in condensed milk, cream and coconut milk.
4. Sift the flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture and mix till combined.
5. Pour the mixture into a heat resistant container and steam over medium heat for 25 minutes, with stirring in every 5 minutes. Set aside for the mixture to cool slightly.
6. Knead the custard while still warm (I wore a powder free and food grade glove) until smooth.
7. Wrap custard in cling wrap and chill in refrigerator till required. (Custard mixture can be kept in the fridge for up to a week before baking)
Thanks for dropping by. Do link back to LY's Kitchen Ventures if you have used any information published in this blog.