I've been wanting to experiment with pumpkin to make muffins. I finally made a batch of pumpkin muffins with nutella swirls for added richness and decadence!
Love the festive aroma of cinnamon in my kitchen, and the addition of nutella is definitely a bonus!! I also made a few variation of the pumpkin muffins. (see my notes at the end)
Pumpkin Nutella Swirl Muffins
makes 16 muffins
220g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 ground nutmeg
80g brown sugar (will increase to 90g)
230g pumpkin puree
120ml canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Clean pumpkin and desseed. Remove skin, cut pumpkin flesh into cubes and and steam pumpkin for about 15 minutes or till pumpkin becomes soft. Pour away any excess water and hand puree pumpkin until smooth. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 180C.
3. Line muffin pan with paper liners. (My oven is too small to house a standard sized muffin tray, so I improvised by doing the below.)
4. In a bowl, combine sifted flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg and salt together.
5. In another large bowl, whisk brown sugar and eggs together till combined. Add oil, milk and vanilla extract and mix well. Add the pumpkin puree and continue to mix till well combined.
6. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry flour mixture. Stir till just combined. Do not overmix.
7. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
8. Spoon a teaspoon of nutella to each muffin cup. Using a skewer, swirl the nutella and the pumpkin batter together.
Note - For other variations:
- Leave out the nutella. Sprinkle some fine sugar on top of the muffins before baking.
Pumpkin Peanut Butter Swirl Muffins
- Replace nutella with peanut butter.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chips Muffins
- Leave out the nutella. Fold in 50g chocolate chips together with the flour mixture to the wet ingredients.
This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up (Oct 2014 Event: PUMPKIN) organised by Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids) and Mui Mui (My Little Favourite DIY) and hosted by Eileen (Eileen's Diary).
I'm also linking to "My Treasured Recipes #3 - Taste of Autumn (Oct/Nov 2014)" hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House.
Do link back to LY's Kitchen Ventures if you have used any information published in this blog.