I've some left over pumpkin in the fridge after cooking pumpkin rice for lunch and was deliberating whether to use it to bake a cake or a loaf of bread. Finally decided to use it together with some soya milk to make a Pumpkin Soya Bread Loaf by adapting the Wu Bao Chun's (吴宝春) Champion Bread Loaf I did earlier.
As usual, I left all the kneading to my breadmaker. After it's proofed, the bread is oven-baked baked in my pullman tin. (San Neng brand SN2052, 196 x 106 x 110mm)
Love the base recipe as it never fails me so far. Bread that stays soft and fluffy even on the third day is what I get.
refer to my notes in red if baking bread using breadmaker
195g Soya Milk
1 tbspn Condensed milk
100g Pumpkin puree (steamed and mashed)
300g Bread flour
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Instant yeast
15g Unsalted butter
50g Pumpkin seeds
1. Place all ingredients into the pan except butter and pumpkin seeds based on the sequence listed above or by following your breadmaker manufacturers' instructions regarding the order of liquid/dry ingredients.
(I'm using Zojirushi breadmaker. I placed all the wet ingredients first, followed by the dry ingredients. Make a dent at the centre of the flour and pour the yeast in the dent last, making sure the yeast does not touch the liquid, sugar and salt.)
2. Make the selection for 'Pasta Dough' setting on your breadmaker.
(For my Zojirushi breadmaker, I chose the 'Cookie/Pasta Dough')
3. Press start and the machine will start kneading the dough. The machine will beep after a few minutes. Press start to continue kneading.
4. After the machine has finished its course of kneading under 'Pasta Dough' setting, make the selection for 'Dough' setting. (For baking bread in the breadmaker, I will select 'Soft' mode selection.)
5. Press start and the machine will start kneading the dough after resting for 15 minutes. Add in the butter during this resting stage.
6. When the machine beeps, add in half the pumpkin seeds.
(For Zojirushi, it will beep near the end of the kneading cycle for adding these ingredients.)
7. Let the breadmaker do the rest. (For baking bread in the breadmaker, the bread will be ready in about 3 hours for 'Soft' mode selection. At 1 hour before the completion of the cycle, spray some water onto the surface of the dough and sprinkle the balance pumpkin seeds onto the dough. Then close the lid back and let the beadmaker finish the baking cycle. Skip to step 11.)
8. When the bread dough is proofed, the machine will beep to signal the end of the 'Dough' function. Remove dough from the pan, punch it down.
9. Roll up the dough and spray some water onto the rolled dough. Spread the balance pumpkin seeds over the dough and place in the pullman tin. Proof for 40 minutes with lid on until the dough rises to about 90% of the tin. (My pullman tin is San Neng brand SN2052, 196 x 106 x 110mm)
10. Bake in preheated oven at 200ºC for 40 minutes.
11. When the bread is done, remove the bread from the tin immediately and let it cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.
This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up (Oct 2014 Event: PUMPKIN) organised by Zoe (Bake for Happy Kids) and Mui Mui (My Little Favourite DIY) and hosted by Eileen (Eileen's Diary).
I'm also linking to "My Treasured Recipes #3 - Taste of Autumn (Oct/Nov 2014)" hosted by Miss B of Everybody Eats Well in Flanders and co-hosted by Charmaine of Mimi Bakery House.