Tuesday 19 April 2016

Taro & Purple Sweet Potato Sago Dessert 芋头紫薯西米露


This really caught my eye. A refreshing bowl of Taro & Sweet Potato Sago dessert with a beautiful purple hue served chilled....simply heaven!

Like Wendy, I have used purple sweet potato not only because of the pretty purple colour it gives, but also because of its great nutritional value. 


You can serve this warm or chilled. For me, I served it chilled and was such a refreshing dessert in this hot weather!


This was very well received when served to my family and friends. Thumbs up!!


Taro & Purple Sweet Potato Sago Dessert 芋头紫薯西米露
recipe from Table for 2....or More
my notes in red

Ingredients:
420g peeled taro (I used 450g)
80g peeled purple sweet potato (I used 120g)
2L water (I used 2L plus 1 cup water)
1/2 cup small sago pearls
1/3 tsp salt
few pandan leaves, shredded and tied into a knot
250ml coconut milk (I used kara)
Sugar to taste


Method:
1. Bring 2L of water to boil. Cut taro and sweet potato into chunks, then cook in the boiling water together with pandan leaf until softened. (My method for step 1 - 2 as follows: Bring 2L water to boil together with pandan leaves. Instead of boiling the cut taro and sweet potato in the pot of 2L water, I put the cut taro, sweet potato, 1 cup of water and another bunch of pandan leaves tied into a knot into a microwaveable container and microwave it for about 4-5 minutes or until the taro and sweet potato chunks are cooked and softened. Scoop about 2 cups of the boiled water and set aside to cool.) 






2. Scoop the taro and sweet potato out from the boiling water. Scoop out 2 cups of the taro-sweet potato soup and set aside to cool.

3. To the remaining boiling soup in the pot, add the sago pearls and cook them until translucent. Sweeten with sugar. (I removed the pandan leaves at this point.)



4. Puree the cooked taro and sweet potatoes together with the 2 cups of cooled taro-sweet potato soup. (I pureed the cooked taro and sweet potato chunks with the 2 cups of water scooped previously.) Then pour back into the pot.



5. Add in the salt and bring back to a boil. Add more sugar if desired. Turn off the heat and let it cool to 85-90C (too high and the coconut milk will turn to oil and too low, the dessert won't keep for long).


6.  Pour in the coconut milk (the temperatire will go down to around 75C, enough for pasteurization). Stir and keep the lid half covered as you leave it to cool down to your preferred temperature.




7.  Serve warm or chilled.



Thanks for dropping by. Do link back to LY's Kitchen Ventures if you have used any information published in this blog.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, Looks very nice. I like the purple color. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will I be able to keep the dessert for a couple of days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi diNe', as there is coconut milk in the dessert, it is not advisable to keep over a few days. I finished mine by the next day.

      Delete

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...