I was scratching my head over what to bake for my dearest hubby's birthday and decided upon this baked Oreo Cheesecake.
I rarely make baked cheesecakes as I always thought it is cumbersome and time consuming as you will need to steam bake the cheesecake, leave the cake to cool in the oven for up to an hour, then remove from oven to further cool on the wire rack, chill in the fridge overnight before I can finally sink my teeth into the cake.
Patience. That's what you will need. But after this round of baking. I can only say this...
It's worth the wait.
I prefer to have finer cookie crumbs and should have taken out my food processor to crush the oreo cookies so that I can get finer crumbs. Otherwise, I have no further complains other than my expanding waistline. Lol!!
I'm glad my family enjoyed the cake and I will be attempting other baked cheesecake recipes for sure.
Happy Birthday, hubby dearest!!
makes a 7" cake
For the Crust
100g oreo cookies, crushed
35g unsalted butter, melted
1. Put the crushed oreo cookies into a mixing bowl and mix in the melted butter. (You can either crush the oreo cookies in a food processor or place oreo cookies in a plastic bag and crush the cookies with the help of a rolling pin.)
2. Press the evenly and firmly with the help of the back of a spoon onto the base of the cake pan (with removable base).
3. Chill in the fridge while preparing the cheesecake.
For the Cheesecake
350g cream cheese
100g greek yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
180g crushed oreo cookies, without the cream (100g for mixing into the cake batter, 80g for the topping)
1. Preheat oven to 160C.
2. Prepare steaming pan and some hot water as this cake will be steam baked.
3. In a food processor or cake mixer, cream the cream cheese with the sugar well.
4. Add eggs one at a time and beat well.
5. Add the greek yogurt and mix well.
6. Add vanilla extract and mix well.
7. Fold in 100g crushed oreo cookies.
8. Pour some hot water into steaming pan and place at the bottom of the oven.
9. Pour cake batter into the prepared cake pan. (If you are placing your cake pan into the hot water bath for steam baking, then wrap the bottom of your cake pan with 1-2 layers of aluminum foil so that the water will not seep into the cake. I did not do this step as my cake pan was not in direct contact with the water.)
10. Steam bake for about 1 hour. The middle of the cheesecake should jiggle.
11. Turn off the oven and leave the cake in the oven to cool with the door ajar for 40-60min. (The cheesecake may have slight cracks on top as it cools but it's alright as it will be sprinkled with crushed oreo cookies.)
12. Remove cake from oven and let it cool on a wire rack.
13. Sprinkle the balance 80g crushed oreo cookies over the top of the cake and chill in the fridge for at least 8 hours or overnight before unmolding.
Thanks for dropping by. Do link back to LY's Kitchen Ventures if you have used any information published in this blog.