This is a very cooling and refreshing dessert commonly found in Chinese restaurants' dessert menu and is a treat especially during this hot and humid weather.
I've added pureed rockmelons to the dessert to give it the extra fragrance and cubed rockmelons for that extra bite. Instead of using coconut milk, I've used evaporated milk this time for a healthier dessert!
Rockmelon Sago 蜜瓜西米露
1/2 cup sago
3 cups water
1/3 cup sugar (to taste)
3/4 can evaporated milk
1. In a pot of boiling water, add in sago and cook for about 10 minutes till sago turns semi-translucent (almost translucent with white dot in the center), making sure to give it a stir once in a while so that they will not stick together. Remove from heat and let the sago sit for ten minutes until the sago is clear and translucent.
2. Drain the sago and run through cold water in a strainer. Set aside.
3. Cut the rockmelon into half. Remove the skin and seeds.
4. Cut 1/2 of the rockmelon into smaller chunks and put in to a blender to puree. Set aside.
5. Cut the other 1/2 of the rockmelon into cubes. Set aside.
6. In a pot, boil the sugar and water till the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the evaporated milk.
7. Remove from heat and stir in the rockmelon puree, cooked sago and rockmelon cubes.
8. Chill in refrigerator for 3-4 hours until dessert is cold.
9. Serve chilled.
I'm submitting this post to the Best Recipes for Everyone May 2015 Event (Theme: My Favourite Desserts) organized by Fion of XuanHom's Mom and co-hosted by Aunty Young.
Thanks for dropping by. Do link back to LY's Kitchen Ventures if you have used any information published in this blog.