Sunday 25 January 2015

Sweet Corn Loaf


My friend Agnes has asked me for corn bread recipe as her son loves it. I've shared the Corn Bread Loaf recipe I used but I thought the corn taste may be a little too subtle for her son. So I experimented further and tweaked the recipe and the outcome...Thumbs up! My hubby and daughter tried it and both preferred this new version!

I upped the corn kernel used and added yellow corn meal to the bread flour. I also added more sugar as I want it to be a 'Sweet' corn loaf. I must say I'm satisfied with my experiment this time round!


I ate it on its own and loved the corn aroma and the softness of the bread. I'm gonna try warming the bread and then adding a thin slab of butter onto it. The thought of the butter melting into the warm corn bread...pairing this with a cup of hot tea...Heaven!!


Sweet Corn Loaf

Ingredients:
200g Milk
80g Corn kernel
30g Condensed milk
300g Bread flour
50g Yellow corn meal
45g Sugar

1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Instant yeast
25g Unsalted butter
40g Corn kernel

Method:
1. Place milk, 80g corn kernel and condensed milk in blender and give it a blitz. Then pour the blended mixture into the bread pan.

2. Place all other ingredients into the pan except butter based on the sequence listed above or by following your breadmaker manufacturers' instructions regarding the order of liquid/dry ingredients.
(I'm using Zojirushi breadmaker. I placed all the wet ingredients first, followed by the dry ingredients. Make a dent at the centre of the flour and pour the yeast in the dent last.)

3. Make the selection for 'Pasta Dough' setting on your breadmaker.
(For my Zojirushi breadmaker, I chose the 'Cookie/Pasta Dough')

4. Press start and the machine will start kneading the dough. The machine will beep after a few minutes. Press start to continue kneading.

5. After the machine has finished its course of kneading under 'Pasta Dough' setting, make the selection for 'Dough' setting. (For baking bread in the breadmaker, I will select 'Soft' mode selection.)

6. Press start and the machine will start kneading the dough after resting for 15 minutes. Add in the butter during this resting stage.
7. When the machine beeps, add in 40g corn kernels.
(For Zojirushi, it will beep near the end of the kneading cycle for adding these ingredients.)
 
8. Let the breadmaker do the rest. (For baking bread in the breadmaker, the bread will be ready in about 3 hours for 'Soft' mode selection. Skip to step 12.)

9. When the bread dough is proofed, the machine will beep to signal the end of the 'Dough' function. Remove dough from the pan, punch it down and divide into 3 portions.


10. Roll up each portion and place in the pullman tin. Proof for 40 minutes with lid on until the dough rises to about 90% of the tin. (My pullman tin is San Neng brand SN2052, 196 x 106 x 110mm) 
(The dough is a little sticky but do not be tempted to add more flour. I just applied a little oil and quickly roll and place in the pullman tin.)



11. Bake in preheated oven at 200ºC for 40 minutes.

12. When the bread is done, remove the bread from the tin immediately and let it cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.



Do link back to LY's Kitchen Ventures if you have used any information published in this blog. 

8 comments:

  1. May i know where to get the yellow corn meal in singapore?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mui Luan,
      I bought the yellow corn meal from Phoon Huat.

      Delete
  2. Thank you sooo much.. I have this BM but never know can use the cake/dough function until reading your blog. Tried the Wu Bao Chun Bread, the result is a perfect bread. Tonight I am gg to try this Corn bread.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mui Luan, Thanks for trying out my blog recipe and glad that you like it. :)

      Delete
  3. Trying this ingredients accordingly, except Yellow corn meal I didn't add. Thus using dough mode to knead 15 minutes. Then select sweet mode n baked 3.25 hours in my kenwood BM. It deflated horribly. I read the guidebook that it could too dense, sigh... So sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fel, perhaps you want to check on your yeast. It has happened to me with my first bread bake and it boiled down to the yeast I used. It was a new pack of yeast but I suspect it was not kept in a cool place (maybe during transportation or supplier's store too warm?) and caused the yeast to 'die'. I threw that away and bought another pack and my next bake was perfect!. Don't be discouraged, ok. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi , i have tried the sesame bun. It was great. I am having Zojiroshi BM as well... ! Can i know for the corn bread, can i use Cream corn...? Cos i bought a can of cream corn.. thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ying, thanks for trying my blog recipe. I've not used cream corn before in my bread. If you use it, you will need to adjust and experiment on the flour-liquid proportion.

      Delete

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...