Kueh Kodok (Deep Fried Banana Balls) 炸香蕉丸 is a popular snack commonly sold at Malay stalls. My aunt used to make these yummy snacks for tea-break whenever I stayed over at their house during the school holidays in my younger days.
I'm attempting to re-live those moments when I was enjoying these lovely snack by making some myself since I've some ripened bananas. I've also used Medella's Organic Premium Coconut Cooking Oil instead of the normal cooking oil to deep fry the Kueh Kodok. Many would wonder if the use of Medella's Organic Premium Coconut Cooking Oil will leave the banana balls with an unpleasant coconut smell. The answer is NO. Not only is there no unpleasant smell, it is also superb for cooking at high heat due to its high smoke point.
It is really a treat to sink your teeth into the crisp crust and then greeted with the mushy banana interior.
A simple yet delicious snack indeed!
Kueh Kodok (Deep Fried Banana Balls) 炸香蕉丸
recipe from Anncoo Journal
130g plain flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp rice flour
Pinch of salt
300g ripe banana (peeled and mashed)
60g sugar or to taste (depending on sweetness of the banana)
Cooking oil for deep frying (I used Medella's Organic Premium Coconut Cooking Oil)
1. Sieve the flour, baking powder, rice flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar.
2. Stir in the mashed banana and mix until well combined.
3. Let the batter rest for 15 minutes.
4. Using an ice-cream scoop or spoon (grease with some oil so that the batter will slip into the hot oil easily), scoop a spoonful of batter and deep fry in medium hot oil till golden brown.
5. Remove banana balls from oil and place on kitchen tissue to drain the oil away before serving.
Thanks for dropping by. Do link back to LY's Kitchen Ventures if you have used any information published in this blog.