I've heard these cheese tarts are very popular especially in Japan and some Asian countries and have seen snaking queues for these delectable tarts at the stores. An outlet has just opened recently in sunny Singapore's Ion Orchard and we've seen crowds queuing for 2 hours for these Baked Cheese Tarts!
When I chanced upon this recipe, I knew immediately I had to give it a try to see what the 'ra-ra' is all about without having to wait and queue for it.
I was expecting a flowing consistency but I've baked the cheese tarts for slightly too long. However, for my first attempt I'm still pretty happy as it is really DELICIOUS!
These tarts were given thumbs up by my family. I will definitely be making more of them!
Baked Cheese Tarts
recipe from Peachy Bunny Mel
makes 6 2.5" tarts
For the Molten Cheese Filling
180g cream cheese
20g parmesan cheese
50g plain yogurt
1 egg white
For the Tart Shell
60g unsalted butter, at room temperature
25g egg, whisked
80g plain flour
1 yolk (for brushing)
For the Molten Cheese Filling
1. Place cream cheese, Parmesan cheese, butter, sugar and yogurt in a sauce-pan. Then turn the stove on low heat and stir to melt the ingredients.
2. When all the ingredients have melted, bring away from the heat to cool down for about a few minutes. (I let it cool down for about 3-4 minutes) Then mix in the egg white. Turn on the stove to low heat again and continue to stir until cheese mixture thickens. (For the original recipe : When all the ingredients have melted, transfer to another bowl and mix in the egg white. Pour back to the sauce-pot and cook on low heat, stirring constantly and remove from heat when cheese filling has thickened to a consistency of mayonnaise.)
3. Transfer to a separate bowl immediately. Let cool and then cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for around 3 hours.
For the Tart Shells
4. Beat butter still smooth. Then add sugar and continue to beat till creamy.
5. In a bowl, lightly whisk an egg. Measure out 25g of the whisked egg.
6. Whisk in the 25g egg to the creamed butter.
7. Mix in flour in 2 batches to form a dough. Do not over-mix.
8. Cover dough with cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
9. Remove dough from the fridge and lightly dust with flour. Roll out to 1/3" thick.
10. Use tart pan as a guide and cut out the required size of the dough. Place the cut dough into the tart pan and mold to fit.
11. Use a fork to poke little holes at the bottom of the tart.
12. Refrigerate for another 15 minutes.
13. Preheat oven to 160C.
14. After 15 minutes, bake prepared tart shell in preheated oven at 160C for 20 minutes.
15. Remove tart shell from oven and let cool slightly.
Making the Cheese Tarts
16. Preheat oven to 230C
17. Scoop chilled cheese filling into the tart shells.
18. Brush with egg yolk.
19. Bake on upper rack of preheated oven at 230C for 5-8 minutes. (Watch closely!) - I over-baked mine. I will bake for 6-7 minutes in future with my oven.
20. Once out of the oven, remove cheese tarts from baking tray immediately and cool for a few minutes.
21. Serve. (These cheese tarts are best served freshly baked from the oven)
Thanks for dropping by. Do link back to LY's Kitchen Ventures if you have used any information published in this blog.