I bought a few packets of soya milk and decided to experiment on my trusted Egg Tart recipe to make Soya Egg Tarts.
Again, this doesn't disappoint. I didn't finish using all the pastry and kept the extra unused pastry in the freezer so that I can whip up either this version again or the original egg tarts anytime!
Soya Egg Tarts
makes about 22 tarts
For the Pastry
300g plain flour
2 tbspn custard powder
2 tbspn milk powder
1 tbspn sugar
1 egg (about 60g)
Rub-in Method (Cold butter)
1. Cut cold butter into small cubes.
2. Combine flour, custard powder and milk powder and mix well.
3. With fingertip, rub in the cold butter, add sugar, mix well.
4. Add beaten egg, mix to form a soft dough (do not knead).
5. Wrap with cling wrap and refrigerate before use.
For the Filling
280g soya milk
200g beaten egg (3 large eggs or 4 medium eggs)
1. Melt sugar in heated soya milk. Let cool.
2. Add beaten egg to soya milk mixture and mix well.
3. Sieve the mixture 3 times.
1. Divide pastry dough into balls of 30g and press the dough into tart moulds.
2. Spoon in the fillings till 90% full.
3. Bake in preheated oven at 200ºC for 20 mins.